Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Grand Theft Velo 3 in words (Volume 1.0)

Shoreline Drew, our man-about-forums, has found quite a bit of buzz around last weekend's Grand Theft Velo alleycat in New Haven. Wow! Thanks, everybody.
Here's a sampling...


"pretty place to ride around, and so easy to get to, I left and it started pouring a minute later! And wtf, best facial hair.? WHERE IS MY PRIZE? just kidding. Drew, pass my congrats to the organizers, they were really on top of their game!"
-Andras from NYC

"Indeed, that was a seriously originally thought-out race, great separation between manned and un-manned checkpoints... just a blast."
-Aaron

"Wooo!
I honestly did not expect so much awesome from New Haven, no, no I did not.
But these kids threw down hard, plenty of miles, and prizes to go 'round.
That race was long, taxing, complicated, and amazingly well organized.
Well worth skipping a road race, that's for sure."


AND

"I just wanted to thank you personally for a great time!
Speaking as the first ever West Side Invite champ, I really appreciate a long, yet very interesting alleycat.
I could dig on New Haven.
Best race yet."

-Josh "Robot" from Boston

"A great time. Thanks to (Shoreline) Drew for giving me a couch to crash on and showing me around, Zack from Open, Justin from Boston, Justin from New Haven, the scorchers, everyone who rode, bmore for crashing and Drew Haven for getting naked at the bar and pissing the Yalies off.
My wrist is bruised and it hurts to ride my bike!
hahaha "

-Prolly
(Prolly also did a nice writeup on his blog about the weekend.)

"I have to say thanks to everyone who put that together. That was my first time to New Haven and doing an allycat and I had a great time. Everyone I met was really nice and helpful. Also, I got some nice stuff to take home. I will definitely be back to do another race."
-Jenny B. from Boston

It probably goes without saying, but I'm gonna say it. Maybe I'm just weak, but this was the HARDEST alleycat I've ever done, hands down. My legs are still sore today. Thanks for putting together such a bad-ass race. You all know I love long events, this one was dope! Hopefully we can put together something ridiculous and fun for KONE!
-Matt from Ghostship

You guys really knocked it out of the park on this one. Serious good times, good manifests, good checkpoint workers, fucking killer prizes... I got caught on the drawbridge, I rode down stairs, through a tunnel, on a dirt path, up a mountain, pushed my bike for a few miles, talked to liquor store owners... Such a good time.
My only only beef is that I'm from Bristol, not West Hartford. :)
Can't wait for KONE!

-Aaron from West Hartford Bristol, CT

I had a lot of fun and can't believe I pushed myself so hard (with a bad back to boot). But psyched I didn't get raped and killed riding the back way up east rock with no light in the fog, doubly psyched I won the cannondale bike (!!?), and triply psyched Eric and I can walk through our sun porch now that all the dozens of boxes of prizes and wheel sets have nice happy homes!!
BIG THANKS again to of course my sweetie Eric, and my other sweetie Drew Nemetz for getting SO many ridiculous prizes (?!?!) and Justin and Amity for the frames and everything else and Brian and all the scorchers for sticking with it and everyone for coming out and making it a killer time !!!!!
I think I just got all my energy back....

-Pandalicia

i want to say thank you to drew, eric and uva for taking my baby and making it a monster! this shit was crazy. and to the rest of the crew, racers and workers, fucking awesome. this was the best race new havens seen and hopefully the foundation for the races to come. on to the next epic chapter of scorcherdom!
-Sean Milnes, Scorchers/OPEN Bicycle rider


This race was a blast to host -- possibly more so than it was to race. Last year's participants asked for it to be longer. Yep, it was longer. First Place (Raf) finished in just under 3 hours, and there were people who were still working on their first (3 or 4 total) manifest. The DFL crew came in well into the afterparty.
Congrats to all, and a huge thanks to all who helped, raced, sponsored, or bought Drew drinks!

No comments:

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees Thanks, James! Owe you a beer.